Friday, January 24, 2014

Target Trouble

No, I am not talking about credit problems, or return issues or even surely or rude service people. My local target has been great for us. No complaints with Target as a store or a company. My complaint is with the customers, actually with the shoplifters.
I went to the bathroom at my local target and as I go in I hear something odd, not really sure what it was but I looked around and saw the handicap stall was in use. No problem there, but having a handicapped son I pay more attention. There is no sound at all from the stall. Usually you hear people, they make sounds when the go to the bathroom, nothing, not even breathing, and it is a very quite room. As I was my hands I hear two odd sounds, first there is the kind of sound a person makes when the fall or collapse against something, second was the sound a can of aerosol makes when it falls from the hand of someone who has collapsed. I turn to see a can rolling out from under the stall, a can of Dust-Off.
At this point I can take two attitudes, "Not my problem." and leave, not really my style, or I can see if I can help.
By looking through the gap in the door I see a young person collapsed akimbo on the commode. He's Dusted himself, inhaled the product to pass out and get momentary high. There are problems with this kind of recreation, like death. The door is locked. That is not a problem for me, it yielded on the first pull. Perhaps weighing 275 pounds can be a good thing.
At this point I should describe the appearance of our young victim. He is likely in his twenties from his dress and insincere beard, dark hair, short and very thin. The lack of a right eye and general demeanor made him look much older. Think a young one eyed Richard, although he still had his teeth. His left eye was shut and right wide open showing only a pink veined socket. Really creepy seeing a pink veined socket where an eye usually is. He had a big wad of gauze taped to his forehead, likely from the last time he stole End Dust at a store and passed out in the bathroom. Perhaps they threw him out of Wallmart across the street.
No comes the real moral problem for me. I'm in good Samaritan mode and want to help this man. He is not breathing, I mean really not breathing, I checked. As I shake him and yell to try to rouse this man before calling 911 and starting CPR, it occurs to me that perhaps this is for the best. I mean this is self induced and if life is so bad you need to get high on End Dust in handicapped stall of Target ...
Fortunately our worthy young man awoke with a start. I do mean start, his limbs thrashed out. Having a son like Andrew prepares one for thrashing out limbs. My hands had him by the shoulders and just flexing my elbows let me block with my arms. It also helped that he is perhaps five six and a hundred and twenty pounds. Relieved that he was breathing again we commenced to converse. It amounted to him denying the obvious.
"Are you OK?" I asked.
"Huh?" Was the well considered response.
I decided to bring him up to speed. "You passed out from inhaling Dust Off."
"No, I didn't!" His one eye darting about.
"The can is on the floor and you passed out." As I left, my job here was done. He lived and I could go home.
"No, I didn't!" He yelled at my back.
"You're an idiot and a liar." My parting comments may not have been those of a true Samaritan. I did try to get him a good meal and a place for the night. I told the clerk to all security to the bathroom now, they had a man passed out in the stall from inhaling Dust Off. Perhaps he will spend a warm night in a police cell and get a meal, or at least a sandwich.
On the way home I realized how blessed I am. I will not have someone call me tonight or any other night to tell me my child has passed out in a bathroom from drug use. My children love life and live it well. They do not look up to curse God and die, but then fight to live.

2 comments:

Crystal said...

Woah.

Amy Mak said...

Woah is right. I couldn't help but laugh at that parting line...but woah. I feel sorry for that guy. on the commode. getting high off dust-off. geez.